HW math

From: William Knowles <wknowles1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:33:28 -0800

I ran some Extended Contest numbers and thought people might be interested in the results (or correct my math :-) Either way I'm happy.)

Each point of Augumentation multiples the AP loss ratio by 1.1. There are
slight quirks at the mastery breaks (20 = 1w but 1w -> 2w is 1.23) and it accelerates. The ratio goes negative (i.e. the Actor is gaining AP's) at 20 vrs 1 and 8w vrs 20. I'd reallly like to know what it means when a character starting with 40 AP's finishes with 100.

Each net Edge multiples the ratio by (1 + AP_bid / 125). Thus, one Augmentation = one Edge when at a bid of 12.5. As the net bid approaches
the Edge the ratio approaches infinity. The default bid is 3, is this also an official minimum? The Augmentation Resistance Chart, which values Edges at half Augmentations, is accurate if bids average around 25.

AP adds seem fairly straight forward. The AP add divides the needed loss ratio by (1 + AP_add / AP_base). The AP add is summed, not iterated like Augmentations and Edges.

Trading 7 APs for 1 Augmentation is a good deal if the target has more than 70 AP, otherwise not. Well, if you're one of a crowd locked in a room with a guy just good enough to average an AP profit then knocking him down a point might be good regardless. Unlocking the door seems better though.

The Ordinary Consequences Chart suggests that it's very hard for a typical Heortling to actually kill someone even with a parting shot - or two or three. In the combat example only Rollo started with enough AP's to leave Ufnag dying and he was stupid to actually bid that much. On the other hand, a hero with Berserk Magic 10w3 isn't going going to just leave people dazed or maimed but throughly dead. I think changing the chart to:

AP Total                Degree of Defeat
 => 1                   Still in business

=> -Starting APs / 4 Marginal
=> -Starting APs / 2 Minor
=> -Starting APs * 3/4 Major
=> -Starting APs Complete