Re: Multiple-participant contests

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:18:20 -0800

There's a couple of ways I think this could be handled, depending on its importance. I'm talking off the top of my head here, so bear with me:
  1. I'd set up maybe a seven-place chart - seven vertical boxes. Everyone in the contest would start in the center box, and it would be a simple contest vs. the task's difficulty. Each "leg" of the race would be a round of rolls. Critical Victory would move that contestant up 3 spaces, Major: up 2, Minor: up 1, and the defeats would be down by similar amounts. Winner is the first one to exit the chart past the top, or at the end of the race, the highest on the chart. Watching people climb/descend the chart would provide some drama, as well as desperate players spending points for bump-ups.
  2. Alternately, maybe there's a way to run it as an extended contest with everyone against the race, and as the course gets harder, the race bids successively more AP each round. I dunno if that would work, but intuitively, it sounds interesting...