Re: Rules Heroes

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:57:11 -0500

Steve Lieb wrote:

> Hi Gian,
>
> It's probably semantic hair-splitting on my part, but I'd say that a
> "rules definition" hero would be someone with a mastery in something.
> Otherwise they're just a skilled journeyman.
>
> Morally, a person's definition of "hero" is so subjective, there's not
> much point in defining it.
>
> -Steve

I have to agree with Steve. I call all the PCs in the Blind Taste Test 'Our Heroes' as the game is very, very cinematic in its layout. But when I think Hero, I think of folks like Beowulf, Jason, Gilgamesh, Arthur, and that maniac Harrek (tho he's more of a natural disaster made flesh)...

So, even if you want to style yourself as Fisher King or Redeemed Hero or whatever archtype floats your boat (I'll stick with smiths, m'self), you MUST have the power, skill or otherworldly credit. In HW terms that means he's a Master of something (crudely put: having at least 1 xW2 or W3 and a good connection with the magical world)

In Gloranthi terms, I'd say that the Hero (or even proto-hero, if you want to be a silly sounding
pendannt ;-) ) must embody something from the Hero Plane (Godplane, Logical Realm, Spirit World, whatever your culture calls it this week), be it embodying a hero (see Morden Defends the Camp) or weilding a talisman brought back from there -- Harrek and that skin he got when he was just a wee liddle baby beserk.

But, your milage may vary.

Jeff