Re: Actual Rules Question!

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:45:09 -0500

"W. Quadros" wrote:

> "kyer, jeffrey" <jeff.kye-_at_...> wrote:
> > > If they decided to rush up and club the archers then maybe a "run
> > > fast" or "dodge" contest against the archer. The *transfer* would
> be
> >
> > I'd use it if they had it. Of course, their APs are based on Close
> > Combat.
>
> If they don't have an applicable skill then use the cultural default, I
> think it is 16. Why would the APs be based on close combat? If you
> force the archer to close combat then you start a new contest with both
> of you using close combat, until then the APs are based on the skill
> you using.

No. One is allowed to use a *suitable skill* to generate APs -- for most characters that seems to be close combat, especially as most combats involve closing to meele. I suppose I should have stated explicitly but it seemed a given.

And no, in combat, does not start a new contest, one simply starts to use different skills.

> > > distance. If the players won they they had forced the archers into
> > > close combat. If the archer won then there were several pin
> cushions
> > > littering the field.
> >
> > I do not think this is the case. Movement is independant of the
> success
> > of any single contest.
>
> It depends on the contest. We were just talking a few posts ago about
> foot races being resolved with contests. This is a race, can you get
> close before getting killed.

In this case, we are talking about players attempting to close with some archers. Seems pretty simple to me.

> > Yes, but again, the problem is that movement is an indepndant function
> > (especially if you just wish to forfeit and close -- THAT is the
> > situation I am looking at)
>
> If you are looking at just charging resolutely into combat ignoring the
> arrows then use the optional wounding rule. If the archers get a
> success and the final result (after considering armour) is 7 AP loss to
> the target then inflict a wound (-1 penalty on all actions until
> healed). IMO you would still use the target's run/dodge/skinny/ etc
> skill to oppose the archery skill.

Mmm. The question was, which I am still hoping to actually convey, was that one player is thinking he should be able to use his ungodly high Sheld and (weapon) skill as he tries to hide behind his sheild while advancing solidly.

I'm figuring this is alright, but should be at a severe penalty.

> > > In our game each fight is one contest. When you start a new contest
> > > you restart at normal AP. If you want to eat all of the enlo then
> you
> > > are going to face them all at your beginning AP and allowing your
> > > friends to fight the nasty foes without you.
> >
> > No, this was not quite what asking about. I was talking about
> multiple
> > foes. You know, several heroes on one side, several NPCS on the
> other?
> > the multiple person extended conflict.
>
> I know that is what you were asking. I was telling you how we resolve
> that situation. 5 pcs face off with 5 npcs = 5 seperate extended
> contests. If there are 15 npcs, then each time the pcs fight a new npc
> it is a new extended contest starting from scratch again.

What happens if someone changes opponents? Battles are not fixed chesspieces in my experience.

> We do not use the group extended contest.
>
> Now if you are dead-set on using the group contest then you have to
> take other things into consideration when looking at a hero with 5 dead
> bodies at his feet and 150 APs in his pocket. Everybody else in the
> oppotion is scared white of this person(thus at a disadvantage and thus
> he has more AP), maybe he has maneouvered himself behind the rest of
> the foes (more AP) etc

Probably as good as any a way of stating it. But after the battle he's going to be back to his starting AP anyways.

> I also do not see any way for a person to enter a group extended
> contest after it has begun. (IE the guards call for help and the
> reinforcements arrive 5 rounds later). This is one of the reasons we
> use individual contests. But this makes it a moot point that a PC is

They join at full strength. We have had no trouble with this at all.

> standing there with 150 AP after the fight because there is not anybody
> else to fight him while he has that reserve. If somebody else then
> enters the room a new contest results and the PC is back to normal.
>
> For those who think that the heroes should be tired, wounded etc after
> a big fight and are annoyed that that does not happen then you need to
> use the wound rule. Any transfer of 7 pts or more can be exchanged for
> a wound that inflicts a -1 penalty until healed; in this case no
> transfer of APs happens but the character has just taken a 5% drop to
> their skill.

I've been using the wound rule quite happily. Actually, We've been having the victim lose the APs but the Victor doesn't get the transfer -- it seems more logical that way.

Jeff