Re: Actual Rules Question!

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 11:06:48 +0800

>BTW, in HW what's the mechanic for "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.
>You killed my father - prepare to die."?

        Enthusiastic use of your 'Dedicated to Vengeance for Father' ability as an augment, and perhaps in a social contest.

PS a magic affinity (Invoke Terror) misses many salient points. Its not magic, and you shouldn't make things magic that aren't. Its not a general ability to invoke terror, and only had that effect one - and its not unreasoning terror, its a perfectly natural fear under the circumstances. And fear is only one of many things that ability is used for. And the primary use of the ability is not the fear - thats what happens after he has used it to recover.

        Which brings up an important point about hero wars. THe abilities are very flexible in a way most roleplaying games do not allow. So you do NOT have to roughly try and match observed effects to game mechanics like you might in other games. Make the ability match what it IS, not what its used for once or twice, and work from there. The game effects will come out naturally.

        Inigo Montoya doesn't have a magic affinity to create terror - and a write up of him that gave him this ability would be silly.

	Cheers
		David