Re: Pointless pantheism

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 09:56:41 -0500

Theo Posselt wrote:

> > There is no tangible benefit of being a lay member except that the
> > priests will leave you alone. I look at it as you get out of the
> > god what you put into the god. Lay member give the god lipservice
> > and the occassional goody; the god replies in kind.
>
> So it states in the rules, which to me is part of the problem. Again,
> my question is: for pantheistic societies, should the only options be
> lay worshipper/initiate/devotee of a single god, or should there be an
> option to be a follower of the entire pantheon, which would also give
> some tangible benefits?
>
> Is anyone else troubled by this lack of an option?
>
> Wesley

I am not troubled. And a layworshipper still gets Divine Aid. If you have a high piety (ie. worship Pantheon) then you can get some decent results.

Initiation is the norm. Live with it. In pantheistic societies, one becomes an initiate at man or womanhood. Its called initiation for a reason, neh? And from that standpoint one branches out, serving the god that most supports your lifestyle. If you're a banker, you'renot going to be a warrior. You worsh an appropriate god.

That being said, most folks follow their 'culture hero' who is usually a warrior anyways. Many folks (ferinstance) are Orlanth initiates and a Devotee of something else. For Dara Happans, Lodril is good for their 'basic god' and that provides you with your basic 'augh, I'm being attacked' kinda magic.

This is not as coherrent as I'd like but I hope this gets the idea across.

Jeff