Re: Storm Bull/Urox

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:47:07 +0000

In message <024401bf8892$6e4ff5c0$2e2a77d8_at_rjremr>, Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...> writes
>7) a transcendent being that has a Spirit aspect and a God aspect

Well, since you ask that is my favourite alternative. But I think from the tone of your writing you are falling into the error of making categories far, far too rigid. And this is what I'm afraid of.

As far as I'm concerned the previously published material makes it clear that Storm Bull/Urox is a Power (call it God or Spirit) that is:

  1. related to the powers of the Air. That means he is of the tribe of Umath and kin to Orlanth.
  2. Is opposed to Chaos and strong in fighting it.
  3. Manifests most potently over the Plaines of Prax and has his Most Sacred Site at the Block.
  4. Is contacted by both Heortlings and Praxians.

Now mythologically you might want to look at making SB a god who left his original home among the Heortlings to chase the Devil and found a place for himself in the hearts of the Praxians. In fact you should probably think about writing a story about how Storm Bull first came to live among the Tribes who revere Waha and be admitted as one of their family in the same way you have given Elmal stories about leaving the Sun Tribe to join the Storm Tribe.

And why the galloping Urox droppings can't the Praxians mix the ways of Gods and Spirits?

--
Michael Cule