Re: Modifiers and Not Defending

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:01:31 -0000

Jeff, I think what you may be looking for here is a Surprise Attack modifier. RQ had two, "Surprised in combat" and "Surprised in non-combat".

If you are attacking someone who is unaware of your presence, your chance of killing them is still going to be based on your combat ability compared to theirs. I'd impose something like a -10 modifier, so to take down someone that has a level of mastery advantage is going to take more than just sneaking up on them. Also, you'd have to beat their "alert" with your "sneak".

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.