Re: a little fundamental point re encounters

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:24:34 +0000

In message <B11F77E6C587D311A8FB009027D5FBEF127906_at_...>, Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...> writes
>I guess I don't really have a problem with this - I rather like the idea
>that a character who's good at talking can talk his way out of anything.
>It's more heroic, less realistic, but then when it comes to realism I'm
>happy to use Rolemaster.

Um. And this is my major problem (well, one of them) with the AP system. It applies to all the abilities that can kill. If you can't get an Overwhelmingly Huge Success with your non-combat ability in the very first part of the engagement then the guy with the axe (or the sorcerous blast spell or the arrow...) wins. In you go into an Extended Contest with your Dazzle with the Beauty of Flowers ability and he goes in with his Kill by Agonizing Means ability you are not equally armed. And by making all APs equal the system not only violates 'realism' (whatever that means) but common sense.

And I like games that, if not 'realistic', are at least possessed of a passing acquaintance with common sense.

--
Michael Cule