Re: hw-rules digest

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 08:39:28 -0500

> I hope, that I'm not giving the impression of lusting back to the Good
> Old Days of RuneQuest. (Although I do love the system and regret that it
> is being left to die.) I loved Over The Edge too, which is even more
> impressionistic in its game mechanics that HW. And I've run both the
> sort of game I enjoy and the sort of combat I like with OTE. But HW
> falls down because of a delusion of the writers: that the AP mechanic is
> interesting....

Um, I think you are, a bit. And, this delusion is shared by the blind Playtesting and demo work I've been doing for Issaries Inc. up here in Canada.

> <<SNIP ALL THE THINGS ABOUT BEING ABLE TO DO OTHER THINGS WITH HW>>
>
> Yes, indeed. I agree but I don't think that the AP mechanic will suit
> any of them particularly well...
>
> I'm sorry. I probably should let this rest until the damn game is in my
> hands and I can read it the whole way through.

I'd be happier with a game in hand before we start the critiques. I was involved with playtesting and working with some of the material for "Legend of the Five Rings" and fans tend to rip appart things even before they are on the production schedule.

It's hard to work up my enthusiasm for something I do not have yet if its being torn down before my eyes.

> >Which is not to say I think the system is perfect.
> >I'd love to see some extended examples of the system
> >in action, to see how some of the odd blends discussed
> >here are envisioned working out by the designers.
>
> I'm worried about how much 'handwaving' there will be in the final
> version. But much of what I've seen (which admittedly in the first three
> chapters is the parts of the system I thought worked excellently) has
> been good. I'll try to contain myself and be good. Promise.
>
> --
> Michael Cule

Hey, no worries. I'm keeping mum on things till I have a copy of the rules myself. From the last playtest copy I have (Dec 31) and the First Three Chapters, there has been some incredible tightening up of rules and the like.

I'm going to look forward happily, rather than in fear. I may not be totally happy with the AP system, but its something that hs proved surprisingly flexible in the Blind Taste Test group.

Jeff Kyer