Re: combat in Hero Wars

From: Timothy Byrd <timbyrd_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:36:37 -0800

"Michael Cule" <mikec_at_...> wrote:
> I think this is where we part company. For me, it is far more heroic
if
> you go one fighting despite the fact that you are badly hurt and
likely
> to die. If you crawl forward despite being badly wounded and take
out
> the enemy pill-box at the cost of your own life THEN you're a hero.

Actually, I'm a big fan of the returning on your sheild scene - victorious, but mortally wounded.

> And most of the time if you gut someone they're out of the fight.
But I
> hate I REALLY REALLY HATE (I'm getting into rant mode now) the fact
that
> in HW you end up with one person basically unhurt and the other
> incapacitated but most likely not dead. I hate it for what it says
about
> combat and for the 'action movie paradigm' that it's trying to
simulate.

This got me thinking. (I know... I'm sorry.) Are the pairs of bids/attacks simultaneous? Can the outcome of a HW combat be mutual destruction? Like Arthur and Mordred both going down with mortal wounds (ala the movie "Excalibur"). Or is there a dying blow rule? Or else, if we used the system to resolve a game of 'chicken' (two people in automobiles racing at each other head on to see who 'chickens out' first), how do the rules allow for neither party giving way and both dying in the resulting collision?