Inventory and the like

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:17:22 -0000

Just as a change from the combat stuff.

We no longer bother keeping truck of individual finances - you just have a wealth level which you roll against whenever you want to buy something.

A little while when someone ask what happens if I only have three arrows, I wondered whether you wouldn't bother counting arrows any more than you bother counting clacks.

Maybe a major failure in an archery contest would indicate you've run out of arrows, otherwise you just carry on.

And how about this, you stock up with a load of 'adventuring' equipment in a backpack. You don't write it all down you just write:

adventurer's kit/14

Whereas someone who loads up a mule writes:

adventurer's kit/18

And someone who travels around in a caravan has:

adventurer's kit/5w

And so on.

Now you're stuck up Stormwalk mountain (I think I've got the name right - the one near Heortland with Sky Bulls at the top) and when it starts to pour with rain you tell your narrator: "Right, I get out all my waterproofs: my oil-skin cloak and my galoshes." He gets you to roll against your adventurer's kit keyword.

Presumably once you know you've got certain stuff, you don't bother to roll again. Or maybe the narrator in between episodes argues that your adventurer's kit might have changed about (maybe the oil-skin cloak got a bit smelly and you chucked it).

You could use a similar system for getting hold of stuff in a town/village/city - i.e. give a place an item-availability rating, and so on.

It's all about getting rid of the minutiae, which I like. What do other people think? What about some other examples?

Richard