Re: Inventory and the like

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:00:02 -0500

"Michael W. Ryan" wrote:
> <Description of a really good idea snipped>

(Very good idea!)

> I really like this idea. I've tended to use this scheme, but in a more
> informal sense, with my games, even in other genres. Having a more "on
> the fly" inventory system does offer some advantages.
>
> 1) The player doesn't have to think of EVERYTHING. Nor does he need to
> suffer for not thinking of something his character obviously would have.

I always assume that, baring idocy, the CHARACTER knows what he's doing. The Player's just playing Joe Stickpicker once a week or so. Joe's got to be Joe 24/7.

> 2) The GM doesn't have to sit through the interminable, and inevitable,
> equipment purchasing sessions.

Gahd, I hated those. With the new system, one can assume that the characters have most of the essentials, at least around the house.

> By quantifying the "on the fly" inventory, you add some rationality to the
> scheme. The determination of whether or not the character has something
> isn't purely GM fiat (I'm not a big fan of pure GM fiat -- hey! I like my
> dice).
>
> I would still suggest allowing/accounting for specific items. This allows
> the players to micromanage the things they're interested in and
> de-emphasize the things they're not.

Armour. Weapons. Items of interest like mules and so forth.

But not tinder and flint for instance.

Jeff Kyer