Re: Multiple attackers / defenders

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 15:46:10 -0800

(I'm catching up on the messages I missed while off-line...)

> Basically two things I hadn't grasped:
>
> 1) The way that multiple attack works
> 2) That when faced with an opponent with followers you can pick off
the
> followers rather than just treat the 'followed' opponent as the only
> opponent you can 'attack'.
>
> I expect, re (2), that you always would pick off the followers, since
they
> are likely to be less able to defend themselves than their leader,
and your
> AP gains all come, effectively, out of the same pool.

Actually, the "wearing away" of followers (assuming that they are *only* giving AP to the hero)is a function losing AP. You're not really "targetting" the follower, but he leaps into the way of your sword saying something heroic like "Watch out sir... Urk".

> I must admit multiple attacks and defenses are much weaker than I
thought
> they were. Useful in some situations I suppose.

That's part of where the narrator has to make a choice in setting up the encounter - make it one attacker with followers, a hero with composite groups of followers who fight, or making all the followers fight as individuals.

Roderick