AP's and switching in combat

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:13:48 -0800

As I understand it, if you switch skills in the midst of a combat, you keep the AP from the first skill you declared?

What's to stop someone using a nearly* inappropriate skill at a very high level to start a contest with a high AP total, then switch in the second roll to a skill that makes more sense (thereby fluffing their AP level higher than it should be). As I understand the system, I could see a bard using Sing 15w4 to start a combat attacking someone, take a round's worth of pointless result (i.e. he's not going to hurt anyone with a song), and then whip out the Sword 12 to proceed to dice the victim into pieces, having a HUGE pool of AP's to bet from. Or do I misunderstand something?