Re: But how does it WORK?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:48:08 -0800

"roderick and ellen robertson" <rjrem-_at_...> wrote:
> > 1) I assume from various bits that each hero has, in combat, some
> > attack Edge (from weapons, Strong, magic, etc)and defence Edge
(armour,
> > shields, Tough, magic, etc).
>
> Generally you'll do some sort of pre-combat rituals to get whatever
augments
> you want. During a contest you'll "lose a turn" if you want to get an
> augment (ie, istead of attacking your opponent, you'll do an unrelated
> action). So you usually get your augment before combat, but you *can*
get
> one during combat.

I was thinking more about stuff like 'Strong', 'Tough' and such, which are innate to the character, but variable. You shouldn't have to perform a ritual to be Strong, but the strength put into any one blow might vary.

> > a> Speaking of Edge, do you always add the 'winner's' attack Edge
and
> > the 'loser's' defence?
>
> I have a sword (^3) and Chain+shield (^5)
> My opponent has a large axe (^4) and a shield (^1)
> My edge against my opponent is ((3-1) = ^2
Got it, Edge is comparative, not individual. Thanks.

> > i} Mystic Strikes. OK, so I haven't seen the rules for magic, but
the
> > rules sysnopsis does include the basic description for strikes
>
> Mystic strikes are supposed to be a one-shot kill Strikes are up
there in the
> range of cult Secrets. You need to have at least 1w2 in three
abilities
> before you can learn a Strike.

Aw, no more Disrupts? Small-scale magical hurts?

> > I] I ran some test combats. First a Big, Tough, Strong, Minotaur
> > against a good, but normal, human warrior. Over in 3 exchanges.
Next a
> > started character hero against the poor warrior. Took quite some
time,
> > but the hero won.
>
> It all depends on how you bid. Someone (David D?) used the algorithim
of
> 1/2AP-1 for bidding, but the players can bid anywhere from 1 to their
total
> starting AP, which can stretch the combat out or reduce it to a single
> exchange. As far as driving someone below 0 AP, you can do a Parting
Shot to
> reduce him *after* he goes below 0.

Yes, but actually I DID use approximately half the AP for each blow, my point is, it didn't sound like a very bloody combat. Surely a two-stroke knockout should represent more than a couple of mildly inconvenient Wounds, even before he rips the arms off the unconscious body and eats them? It looks like the faster you lose, the less damaged you are. If Gonn Orta stepped on you, you'd only take one Wound... Pretty easy to Heal, once they dig you out.

Wulf