Re: But how does it WORK?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:28:31 -0800

> > Strength et. al. would work on the same mechanics - do it before
> combat or
> > do it during with a unrelated action. The strength put into *this
> combat*
> > stays the same.
> Hmm... OK, just don't see how just putting a bit more effort into it
> slows down my actions... ah, well...

Augmenting using Strength before a contest is pretty much the "I'm strong" aspect (like the Damage Bonus of RQ, and I expect people will develop a standard set of augmentations that they do before any battle, assuming they have enough time, kind of like the RQ days, when you always cast Protection, Bladesharp and Countermagic before entering battle).

Augmenting iusing strength *during* a contest is that pause-and-deep-breath just before you do your mighty swing, as you gather your strength.

> I'll wait for the full magic rules...

Always a good idea :-)

> > When the Minotaur won, what was the final AP of the loser? frex:
> Actually, by coincidence, both combats ended at 0 AP exactly, however,
> I now see I've ignored the 'Consequences' chart... I wondered how you
> could get an 'Injured' result :)

Evenly-matched combatants will tend towards the "dazed" end of the consequences, while mis-matches are more likely to end in injury or death. However, there is plenty chance to drop a guy (with the 3x multipliers and shrewd, or lucky, bids).

> And how about the archery in HW too, I've read previous posts, and the
> idea of AP-contest archery jars a lot with me too...

Try to break out of the mode of thought that consequences *must* be physical. If there is no way that a combatant can physically harm the other (Archers on a wall vrs footsoldiers without missile weapons), then use something else as the consequences of a defeat of the archers - penalize their reputation, self respect, or something else, but don't give them physical wounds.

If the extended contest doesn't seem to give you what you need, try using a different type of contest - a Simple, or even Ability test (depending on the situation, of course). As the rules say:

"Narrators use extended contests when the hero must overcome some sort of resistance or opposition in order to succeed, and the outcome of the struggle is important enough to generate a sense of suspense for the players. The back and forth of the struggle should be something you can visualize and describe."

Notice that bit about visualizing - the outcome of loosing a single arrow should not be an extended contest, because there is no "back and forth struggle". It should be an ability test (if it's just to hit a static target), or a simple contest (my archery vrs the opponent's dodge).

RR