Re: Bad Guy Hero Points

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:16:07 -0500

"Hibbs, Philip" wrote:

> >Of course, if this is where you bid your Hero Point. Remember,
> >NPC's can have them too. Often, they can have quite a few...
>
> I'm not sure about NPCs having Hero Points. They already have a big built-in
> advantage, in that very little goes wrong for them when the PCs aren't around.
> They never have to roll to sneak into the king's castle and abduct his
> daughter, and how many times have you started a scenario, rolled on the NPC's
> "Hatch evil plot" ability, fumbled, and ended the game session? IMO, a major
> NPC can be considered to have spent as many Hero Points as she is willing to
> spend in off-stage activity already.
>
> If bad guys start using HPs against characters, the players are just going to
> complain that the referee is trying to rob them of their own HPs.

Think about it. Example below.

> Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/
> Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let
> alone those of any organisations, nations, species,
> or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.

If you're an issaries memeber, check out the sample adventure "Demon of the Grove" for an NPC with buckets of HP's.

I give BIG NPC's heropoints not mooks.

You know, the focal points of the adventure. The guys who are suypposed to move the plot along. The ones who are supposed to at least be a challenge...

I don't want to see a Knights of the Dinner Table-esque

"I WASTE HIM WITH MY CROSSBOW!!!" (Player makes a big bid and spends a hero point to make a critical hit, villan's head explodes before he can say or do anything interesting. I'd spend a hero point for him to at least get himself a successful defence up.)

When I ran a translated version of Rainbow Mounds, Whiteeye did very well with 2 HP's. Slud and her spawn, of course, had none.

And I have been runing the game for about 2 months (and run 3-4 demos of the game at various stores) now with villians (not mooks or chumps or trollkin) having HPs' with not *one* complaint about it.

Most players say 'cool' and like the added danger. I'll go with my field test results.

Jeff Kyer