Re: Skill Descriptions

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 20:32:02 +0100

>In the case of
>Snarl Darkness, and a few of the others, there's no possible way of working
>out what the magic does from the rulebook, and this was an intentional design
>goal, as far as I understand it. Compared with reasoning like that, the lack
>of a skill list pales into insignificance, IMO. Somebody please correct me if
>I'm wrong, and the rules for these feats are indeed in the book somewhere I
>overlooked.

Oh, gods...

If that's right then...

Oh dear.

Look, this has consequences. Amongst other things it's going to mean an end to any sort of consistent realising of Glorantha across differing campaigns. Every GM will have to create his own interpretation to keep his campaigns consistent and they will vary wildly and....

And a lot of GMs will throw their hands up in despair at the amount of work that this requires. And throw the rule book a good long way away.

I think that it's fine not having a 'list of skills' as long as the skills are things we can know about from general experience ('Ride Horse', 'Debate Wittily', 'Close Combat') but if it's 'Dazzle with Darkness' or 'Raise the Hidden Wind'..... Oy! Oy! And again Oy!

--
Michael Cule