Re: Random questions

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:30:26 +0100

> How do you handle a reward in money using the wealth rating system? I
give
> hero points that must be spent to increase the wealth rating, but if you
> have better ideas I'd gladly accept them. Gifts are easier: you choose the
> gifts' level and then let the character choose the specific gift whose value
> is lower than the gift's level.

Points to Wealth is an acceptable method. I use it myself -- particuarly with regards to sheep. But having a generous chief or leader gift the heroes with 'something nice' is a good idea.

In the game I just ran, a PC warband member was singled out for praise by the warband leader. From the notes I emailed out the next day:

"On hearing the tale of how blood drenched Sovah like a rain, though none of it was her own, Corcoran Giantkiller gifted her the torc from his own arm. He paid for bards to sing of her deeds to the other clans throughout the summer and she took the Hero's portion at the night's feast."

Rewards don't have to be cash. The player has already mailed me back describing how Sovah is making a big show of wearing her new torc, and wants to know what the bards are saying about her. :)

Jeff:

Yeah. The Blind Taste Test is finding this fascinating. We DO have a resident powergamer so we've gotten very aware of how the game can be abused but, frankly, I'm finding it very good to have my mind and imagination stretched.

I shudder to think of how one particular player I know might try to apply the "Command Gods of Storm Pantheon" Feat. :)

I have spent several years running Mage, which has a *very* freeform magic system, in a similar way to the Feats in HW. I found it takes a good half dozen sessions before people really get into that, but once they do the results can be excellent.
The striking thing I did find with Mage is that no one wanted to play it until they'd seen it in action, or someone who *had* played it try to convince them. They were put off/intimidated by the "vague" nature of the magic system. Though once they got to grips with it, they were all strong converts. All except one of the players I ran the game for has gone on to GM their own game with yet more players.

I think HW might go the same way. Hmm. You'll get little clusters of HW groups popping up all over the land, depending on how aggressively we all proselytise... :)