Re: powergamers and rules systems

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:46:26 +0200

Steve Lieb:

> This is good information for me. Obviously, any rules system works
> when everyone is cooperating and interested in making it work right.
> It's the rules-lawyers that you need to set boundaries for. If you're
> able to cope with powergamers without too much difficulty, that alone
> is a credit to HW.

        I think that rulefull systems are much more prone to powerplaying and rulelawyering abuse than rulelight systems such as HW.

        After all, it seems to me that as long as you can concoct a suitable (and coherent with both the character's personality and the world) story your character can do anything he wants. Even the powerplayer is forced to roleplay and storytell if he wants his character to be powerful.

        Call it mercenary roleplaying, but after all it's the result which is important, not the motives behind, don't you think so?

	Cheers,
	A mercenary Alex.