Re: why talk about the rules?

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:30:40 +0100

In message <008901bf9857$f1c8ab20$a0199bd1_at_rjremr>, Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...> writes
>If you want to run combat as a series of simple contests, you could, but
>then you lose the bid structure of the Extended contest, and the fight is
>over in one exchange (unless you want to use the consequence chart as a
>"wound chart" and drive the oppoennt down to "dying" to end the combat,
>ignoring the "victory" or "defeat" aspect of the chart).

Looks like the way to go for me. I can see no value (sorry, Robin) in the Extended Contest at all. It's tedious, abstracted and hard to get emotionally involved in. Give me a mechanic that reflects (all be it in a rules-light way) what actually happens from second to second in a combat and I'll be happy.

--
Michael Cule