Re: powergamers and rules systems

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:27:49 -0500

Alexandre Lanciani wrote:

> Steve Lieb:
>
> > This is good information for me. Obviously, any rules system works
> > when everyone is cooperating and interested in making it work right.
> > It's the rules-lawyers that you need to set boundaries for. If you're
> > able to cope with powergamers without too much difficulty, that alone
> > is a credit to HW.
>
> I think that rulefull systems are much more prone to powerplaying and
> rulelawyering abuse than rulelight systems such as HW.

This has been my current experience. I could be wrong, but forcing the player to *define* his relationships with the clan and his uber-nifty allies made him think about the character...

He now knows what his mother's name is, for example. And now that we sorted out that 'Humakti Geases Are Not Stackable' -- at least for me, we reduce the power quotient again.

Now he's looking to get married... I think, for the moment, RPing has the upper hand. Just have to work on the 'want to be in limelight 4W' skill he's got.

> After all, it seems to me that as long as you can concoct a suitable (and
> coherent with both the character's personality and the world) story your
> character can do anything he wants. Even the powerplayer is forced to
> roleplay and storytell if he wants his character to be powerful.

Yes, this is the case. I have found that the more rules there are, the more rules there are to break/bend/fold/spindle/mutilate. However, I find that there's a certain minima of rules and examples I just *have* to have. Without them, I can't wrap my head around the game. I admit that HW is down around that limit, possibly below it. I'm suspecting that non-Gloranthi may have trouble without 'apprenticing' -- sort of like playing Champions 1st Ed way, way, way back when. It was impossible to learn on your own, or at least, so it seemed to me.

> Call it mercenary roleplaying, but after all it's the result which is
> important, not the motives behind, don't you think so?
>
> Cheers,
> A mercenary Alex.

Ah, a pragmatist, I see. I like to get the right result for the right reason. But at the end of the day I'll settle for a good enjoyable game. (I like stout but I'll settle for beer) e
Jeff