HW FAQ, bidding questions

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:31:55 +0200

Roger McCarthy:

> Given that this list has already generated 600 posts why doesn't somebody
> put up a HW Rules FAQ based on the most common/difficult questions on
> Glorantha.com (including several combat and magic examples as this is the
> main thing missing from the in-line synopsis and chapters 1-3 which is
> the only thing most of us have to go on until HW hits the shops).

        I wholeheartedly agree with you! A FAQ is needed, and if the actual book will look anything like my initiate level rules, it will need to include extended contests and magic examples.

        After all, how do you know what bid corresponds to your stated intention? How much do I bid if I cover behind my shield and feint with my spear? If I charge the foe weaving my sword like a cleaver?

        Shouldn't the bid be commensurate to a percentage of the AP total? I mean, if I have 60 AP and my foe 10, if I bid 10 points surely I'm not taking the same risks that he would take with the same amount! IMO the "standard bid" should be based on the character's starting AP, and should not be fixed at 3.

        BTW, do you choose the amount or do you let your players choose? I usually let the players decide: after all, it's their characters, and they know how much they want to risk, although it may not always be clear from their description.

	Cheers,
	A bidding Alex.