Re: HW FAQ, bidding questions

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:35:18 -0500

Alexandre Lanciani wrote:

> Roger McCarthy:
>
> > Given that this list has already generated 600 posts why doesn't somebody
> > put up a HW Rules FAQ based on the most common/difficult questions on
> > Glorantha.com (including several combat and magic examples as this is the
> > main thing missing from the in-line synopsis and chapters 1-3 which is
> > the only thing most of us have to go on until HW hits the shops).
>
> I wholeheartedly agree with you! A FAQ is needed, and if the actual book
> will look anything like my initiate level rules, it will need to include
> extended contests and magic examples.
>
> After all, how do you know what bid corresponds to your stated intention?
> How much do I bid if I cover behind my shield and feint with my spear? If I
> charge the foe weaving my sword like a cleaver?

The bid IS comesurate with your stated intentions. You bid what you want, but the Narrator judges what you are doing. If you want to bid more than 1/2 your AP you should be doing something flashy, risky, dangerous and neat.

Doing something boring caps your AP's at a pretty boring level (I use 3)

> Shouldn't the bid be commensurate to a percentage of the AP total? I mean,
> if I have 60 AP and my foe 10, if I bid 10 points surely I'm not taking the

60 AP is a lot...!

> same risks that he would take with the same amount! IMO the "standard bid"
> should be based on the character's starting AP, and should not be fixed at
> 3.

A variant you can use but I prefer to keep it all at a smilar level. That way there's a certain level of concern -- but after some very unplaeasant transfers that happened to reckless players, the BTT is a bit less cavalier with their bids.

> BTW, do you choose the amount or do you let your players choose? I usually
> let the players decide: after all, it's their characters, and they know how
> much they want to risk, although it may not always be clear from their
> description.
>
> Cheers,
> A bidding Alex.

Players tell me what they are doing and how much they think the bid is worth. I agree or disagree (usually I agree) and decided if they get some edges for their action or for what they mananged to do to the oppoents last time. Or if their opponents get some bennies for player screwups/opponent successes.

RL example gratis:

Player: "I scream with the fury of Yinkin, brandish my claws (here the player makes a 'RRRRRrarrrgh' gesture that startles the narrator and makes him spill his drink) and leap off the roof onto those dog-things!!! That's good for at least a 7" Narrator (cleaing off shirt): Heck no! Call it 10 and I'll even throw in a +3 edge for the Death From Above.

Jeff