Re: More rules stuff

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:21:12 -0500

Steven White wrote:

> Well, having looked at it a fairly new player, I considered most of the
> effects being mentioned as rather free form, being usable in a number of
> general ways, yet being not too strong. So, they can mostly be used as a
> bonus, improving your skill, and sometimes as actual effect. And what
> sort
> of effect depends on high fantasy campain the campain is. That and how
> skilled you are. A feat at 17 is one thing. At 10w2, you can do a bit
> more.

Very true. At anything like W2, you are getting *good* -- definitely heroic material or Clan Ring candidate.

> The HedKoranth Lightning Sword feat might be truelly vile when you have
> 10w3
> skill, and you're playing a high magic campain. *boom*boom*booom*boom*
> But mostly it's a sword bonus. Whee. I need it. I'm a hunter, not a
> warrior,
> Well.... I'm going to have to be warrior as well.

You're stuck being a hunter, mookboy! But you CAN toss lighting bolts with the feat. It just dangerous to do if you're not sure what you're doing...

> Now, I have to admit some of the weirder subcults might be very
> troublesome.

Yes, but hey, the problem is getting to a temple, right? Just make sure that the Cyrlings keep liking you. They've got the only temple of Hedkoranth in our tribe.

> Extended combat:
> You've stolen the Great Gem of Foo from the Secret temple of Foo in the
> mist
> of the Dismal Swamp. You're being chased by endless hordes of
> assassins.

The Elf hits you. The Elf hits you.

> Extended contest between your runaway/fight and the assassin's Find
> Infidels.
> Getting a utter defeat: that gem's curse of having thieves eaten alive
> by
> crocodiles was true.... A simple defeat:Maybe they brought you back to
> the
> temple for a sacrifice. Maybe you can escape. That or you lost your
> pack as
> you run. You escape poor and hungry. With no gem. A minor victory: You
> get
> out, but you're run ragged, hurt, and never wanting to see mud ever
> again. A
> complete victory? Either you just walked out, taking time to smell the
> flowers, or you've wasted the assassins so badly, there isn't enough
> left to
> ever go for you again.

You sir, have been reading Buck Godot: Zapgun for Fire.

Just for that, you get to visit the Slag-blah Temple. Did I tell you about the Curse?

> What you'd get rule system wise is a lot of people with massive boosts,
> villains unboosted, free rounds of abuse, extra armour (Cover), people
> distracted (villain can't use close combat after failing his detect pit
> trap),
> and heros able to do things like escaping over that swamp afterwards,
> while
> the remaining villains can't chase(Good old Orlanthi Feat: Run over Mud)

Ah, yes. I thought the group was going to murder me for that. Just because they are young bucks doesn't mean that they are stupid.... Besides, this way there's a clan that really has reason to dislike you.

> > 2) Am I right in assuming an attack on a helpless opponent (0 AP, or
> > Ambushed for instance) is just a matter of piling on all the AP you
> > have, with no potential reply?
>
> Ambushed people aren't completely helpless. Now you might have a
> couple free
> rounds of no reply as they dither, trying to find their swords...

Or put their jaws back into place. But you usually have something. They'd get their AP's but they may not get very good selection of actions (choice of "RUN!" and "Gape in suprise saying WTF?")... as noted below.

> For example, in a fight against some _fast_ dogpeople, we drove a
> couple of
> them negative. Some enough to be injured, knocked over. But they did a
> retreat, a couple of the ones who weren't down to 0 AP helping
> shield/drag
> off the injured.

Yep. Defeated folks tend to retire from the battlefield in my books. Dazed = Still Mobile but not necessarily in good order. It means I don't have to come up with whole new clans after every battle.

> It then turned into a bit of a fleeing contest, seeing if we could get
> couple more blows in to take down the ones moving. But they were
> _really_
> fast, so nope.
>
> It didn't help that a couple of them led us chasers off, keeping us away
> from the wounded.

Just because they are NPCs doesn't mean they are not smart. But you DID get even with them, yes?

> Now, latter, when we secretly tracked them home, and ambushed them
> _hard_, we
> got a couple rounds of free strikes, while they sat there with mouths
> open,
> and scurring around inneffectually, trapped. It was a slaughter.

Yes, it was. Very icky and it still could have gone badly.

So, will YOU play with fetishes that don't belong to you ever again? I think not! ;-)

Jeff "Sheepstealer" Kyer