Re: Collecting the PAQ - pretty darn long

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:59:34 -0500

[snip some interesting bits and some harebrained comparison between Hero Wars and D&D]
  1. Narrator vs. DM vs. GM - Dungeon Master is pretty inappropriate for most games except for D&D. GM is inclusive and widely used. However, though I initially disliked new jargon like Narrator, I have come around to the opinion that Narrator is a novice-friendly term because it describes the role of the game master to those people who do not know gaming culture. And let's face it, game master sounds pretentious and dungeon master sounds childish.
  2. You used the phrase MGF. I don't know what that means. Is it a common Internet initialism? If not, using it is liable to alienate the casual observer. (Can you let me know what it means in the mean time?)
  3. I've got to agree that I hate the TV references. If the game was novice-friendly, then maybe they'd be okay, but I would still think that they are patronizing.
  4. The game isn't novice-friendly: The world isn't clearly explained, yet the mechanics are very world specific and certain abilities (especially feats) are so vague as to even confuse those who are old hands at Glorantha. On this fourth point (or any, but especially the fourth point) please try to prove me wrong. I want to see a logical argument that convinces me the Hero Wars is novice friendly. (Serious request)

Thanks,
Andy Dawson