Re: Collecting the PAQ - pretty darn long

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 07:51:43 +0100

Andrew wrote:

> let's face it, game master sounds pretentious and dungeon master sounds
> childish.

To us, "Dungeon Master" has always had overtones of a sinister S&M fellow with leather shorts and too many piercings... :-)

> 2. You used the phrase MGF. I don't know what that means. Is it a common
> Internet initialism? If not, using it is liable to alienate the casual
> observer. (Can you let me know what it means in the mean time?)

MGF = Maximum Game Fun. It's a common theme in Gloranthan discussions; use of the term was pioneered by MOB (Michael O'Brien), who has a canonical essay on the subject at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/mgf.htm. The idea is that in gaming, doing something that's *fun* is usually more important than brilliant research, thorough simulation, and phenomenally accurate fidelity to age-old publications.

There's a summary of other commonly-used abbreviations for Gloranthan/RQ/Internet terms on my website, at http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/abbrevns.htm. Have a look at that next time you get confused.

Cheers, Nick