Re: Example of play

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:18:11 -0800

> > You can whittle your opponent's ability rating down, a very valid and
useful
> > tactic, especially if he is close to a mastery-boundary!
>
> Sorry, I don't like this explanation, which smacks of rule-abuse. Why
> should a wound be more debilitating to someone who has achived his
> mastery that to somebody who is close to it (or the reverse if you look
> at it) ? There is no good reason for that, story-wise, only a
> rule-effect. This is not a good tactic for the character, it's a tactic
> for the player...

Okay, valid comment. However, it is *still* a usable tactc...

> The only advantage I can see with wounds is that it affects all
> abilities. So if your adversary has feared magic abilities that he could
> use during the fight (espceially if he becomes desperate), it might be
> worthwhile reducing these abilities (especially if they are low, one
> reason for him not to have used them at the start of the fight; this
> also works story-wise, btw, if you think upon it).

Also, the opponent cannot regain his lost ability without resorting to an unrelated action in the middle of combat, unlike AP which can fluctuate "naturally". If I cause my opponent to lose 7 AP, he could get them back with a good dice roll. If I cause him to take a wound, he can't easily remove it.

Roderick