Re: Re: Multiple Magic Systems

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 23:32:08 -0400

At 08:13 AM 03/31/2000 -0800, Roderick Robertson wrote: [Andy Dawson wrote:]
>> Here's a general question: Can a Theist also become skilled in Sorcery or
>> Animistic practice. Let's say for the sake of argument that the character
>> is a Theist first, but is one of the few who has the ability to have a
>fetch.
>
>Yes, it is possible. Some cultures mix magic systems, and suffer for it. As
>an individual you would face increased resistance in the Other Side for not
>following a single system. We don't really cover how to go from one system
>to another, but it is about as world-wrenching to you as becoming
>Illuminated (without the cool side-effects).
>
>There is a section in the Advanced Magic chapter about mixing magical
>systems, and why you don't want to do it if you can help it.

I don't think that this answers my question. I am not talking about misapplied worship or about combined worship. I am talking about a character who is fully capable of using abilities in two (or more) different magic systems.

An example of this is a spirit-talker/shaman who is also a theist. A more specific example is a spirit-talker with the Kolat keyword who is a also an Orlanthi theist and has an Orlanth Adventurous keyword (and is either an initiate or a devotee). This specific example character doesn't ecstatically worship Orlanth Adventurous (no misapplied ecstatic worship), doesn't sacrifice to Kolat (no misapplied sacrifice), and doesn't combine the different methods of worship, but keeps them separate (no combined worship).

This means that the character does not fall into the categories in the advanced magic chapter. Is this type of character possible under the released version of Hero Wars?

At 09:39 PM 03/31/2000 +1200, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>Yes. In an old draft of the magic rules, Greg said that such
>skills start of at 2 instead of 14.

This is exactly the answer that I was looking for, but I want to know if this concept survived to the current version of the Hero Wars rules.

Thanks,
Andy