Re: Re: Collecting the PAQ - pretty darn long

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:11:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Andrew Dawson wrote:

> Due to Glorantha being such a complex game world, it is not novice-friendly
> to have ambiguous abilities like "Sunset Leap" when you could have had a
> sentence of explanation--just for the complicated ones--without adding a
> lot of bulk to the game book. A website is only a partial fix; not everyone
> who can purchase a book has convenient (or any) web access.

There are two kinds of glorantha novices: those who have played other role-playing games and complete newbies without any gaming experience.

I think that ambiguous abilities can be rather good for people with prior gaming experience, but very bad for people without any such experience.

The problems facing experienced gamers is trying to cope with the enourmous body of information that is glorantha. Ambiguity is a way to ease the learning curve. It could be rather liberating, I suspect.

Newbies to role-playing games on the other hand, need rules and definitions to understand how to play a role-playing game. This is basic learning: first have to learn the rules, then you have to learn how to forget the rules.

For instance I think HW can do my players a lot of good. They are experienced gamers, but they find glorantha a bit daunting. And I know from playing a lot of SAGA that easing the boundaries and definitions just opens up for creativity.

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen