Fw: Hero Point Costs

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:51:55 -0700

Gang,

Here's a bit that Greg asked me to forward on...

> BTW, attached here is a segment that I whipped up and will appear online
> about "how to tell your player the bad news."
> This came up because a guy here is running a Prax campaign and two players
> wanted to be Humakti and Orlanthi, within the Praxian Animist traditions.
So
> I said, "They pay double HPs."
> "They won't like that," he said.
> So I wrote the attached.

And here is what Greg wrote:

Humakt in the Waha Tradition

What the shaman said:

You, Sword Man, are special. I knew your great-grandfather and every person since then, have spent fifteen years exploring the Spirit World, and have known more spirits then there are stars in the sky, but even compared to all of those thing you are special. You are unique because you are serve the Great Sword. None of these other men has that calling. They are not tough enough. They are not brave enough. You are special for doing this very hard thing. You are the fierce one because you know those spirits of the Great Sword. Everyone knows this. The spirits that you wrestle to get your magic are tougher than any one else's. We know that. You are the Death Man and everyone else are just men. We see the cost in your face and watch you writhe in agony to conquer your spirits. We know you spend all your waking hours mumbling to the Great Sword and seeing death in everything. You are powerful and do this for us, and so we are grateful.

Orlanth in the Waha Tradition

What the shaman said:

Little Brother, you are the one they should watch, aren't you? But do the tribesfolk see you? No, never, because they know where to look: at Storm Bull and Waha. But not you, eh? They tell you that you are just little brother, eh, and expect you to be reduced for that. But I hear your voice across the plains at night when you even dream of Little Brother, so he has touched you to be special. Now you have gained some of his secrets and you bear the pride and power of the Little Brother for us. You are the one to wrestle with the wind, a task too hard for anyone else. You are the one to sneak and steal, where Urox and Waha can not . You are the one who can speak to strangers, being a bit strange yourself. No one else can do this things. They don't have your special power to do it. You do that hard work. You do that because no one else can do it. You do it no matter what the cost, and the clan is blessed because you have taken that burden. You are powerful, Little Brother.