RE: Illumination

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:48:22 +0100

Roderick and Ellen Robertson [mailto:rjremr_at_...]

>Greg will be writing an essay for the FAQ that (assuming it doesn't run to
>too many pages) I'll send to the list.

>So, can anyone add to the basic questions/problems that I've tried to glean
>from the list?

I'm sure I once understood Illumination as being a transference from localised thinking (i.e. your morals, religious beliefs, and so on), to global thinking (i.e. seeing how everyone's beliefs all fit into a bigger picture). Seeing your view of the world as being one of many possible valid ones is going to turn your world upside down if you're not mentally prepared for it.

(I suppose a RW equivalent would be finding out if there really is a god and what the meaning of life actually is).

So I suppose my question is, have I got it right, or what is the (1 paragraph) explanation ?(rather than just 'a branch of Mysticism').

Richard