Re: First Hero Wars Session Questions

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:36:43 -0400

Andrew Dawson wrote:

> Well, I ran my first Hero Wars game on Saturday and I have some questions
> (directed at Roderick and the other writers, though any input is welcome):
>
> 1. I assumed that starting spirit-talkers had the same fetishes as starting
> animist culture members and I see that that was a good assumption, but the
> player wanted to list integrated spirits in his list of ten things during
> character creation.

> 1a. Since an integrated spirit is worth two fetishes, do you think that
> each line in the ten items list counts as 1 integrated spirit or 2
> fetishes, 1/2 integrated spirit or 1 fetish, or something else?

I'd make him pay the wordage - "Intergrated" then "Spirit" -- can't get something for nothing, but I may be being a bit of a bastard. Anyone who is trying to abuse the rules should be... well... gently chastized.

> 1b. Does it seem logical that a starting shaman will only have one-use
> fetishes? I allowed one to be 3/day and another to be 1/day.

If you read the listing, Shamen can refil their Fetishes more or less readily. Also, the starting shaman may be relatively new. They could be fetishes provided by his teacher... He could always try to rebind or reenchant them, to see what neew totals he gets -- of course those 17 might fetishes he gets at start may tear apart the nascent shamen... But a 12 could probably be rebound easily.

> 1c. Are there any guidelines for the starting might of fetishes/integrated
> spirits gotten as a result of being in list of ten things? I used the value
> of 13 in this case.

It says all new spirits Mights are usually a 12... A 13 is quite fair.

> 1d. It seems that integrated spirit abilities are a lot less useful if
> using Might/10 (1.3 for the ones in 1c. above). Does this seem right? My
> solution was to allow integrated spirit abilities to be bought at target
> number 13 during list of ten character creation, just like any other listed
> abilities. Any comments?

No, they are a new ability. And should start at 13 just like any other. I think this is covered in the Advanced magic and the Animist section at length, which I admit, you may not have access to.

> 2. Is it appropriate for characters to list feats from other keywords in
> their list of ten things? I tend to say no, but what about the Bevara
> devotee who wants to magically cure disease a la Chalana Arroy? Any
> suggestions?

I'd say no unless it was cool, but I'd keep it in mind as a really neat Subcult. If they wanted to do a neat subcult and feat, I might let them start with that -- IF they paid the words for it.

> 3. What is the Hero Wars canonical availability of iron items? The Humakti
> player listed iron weapons and armor and I let him, but I was unsure of how
> "kosher" this was.

VERY rare. I'd never let a character start with them. Though, admittedly, the powerlevel of HW characters is far higher than starting RQ characters, so I might allow one or two items in the group.

> 3a. Is this iron unenchanted? Is unenchanted iron currently part of the
> Glorantha setting?

The iron is probably enchanted, thoguh the player could specify. Its really up to you.

> 3b. Is there any thought given to the ability of unenchanted iron to more
> easily penetrate lesser armor, etc.?

Unenchanted iron is soft as bronze. That's a well known piece of Glorantha Lore.

> 4. If a player lists Initiate of (Second God) in the list of ten things,
> does this mean that he gains those affinities as well? The example is a
> Devotee of Humakt who also wants to be an Initiate of Orlanth Adventurous.

Yep. He does. Um, though, in the list of 10 things, I'd say no. I only allow a 2nd Initiation if the player presents me with a writeup. Hmmm. A Devotee of Humakt... as Orlanth Adventurous? I think that the Devotee cuts his ties, but that's a pretty high end of Glorantha-ism. I've allowed it experimentally. I think I shan't allow it for Godtalkers or Devotees of Humakt.

The time constraints are pretty brutal.

> 5. (More a comment) The Kolating player pointed out that the Spirit-Talker
> keyword almost completely overlapped the Kolat keyword in terms of
> abilities. (I think that he felt shortchanged.) I theorized that the
> general Spirit-Talker keyword would also fit with other animistic Keywords
> that didn't overlap so much. What is the true explanation for this overlap?

Too bad. It seems that your Kolat Player would have felt shortchanged in any respect.

And, if you take an obscure, unusual thing like being a Spirit Talker in Orlanthi socieity, there's not a lot of support available.

> That's it for the first round of questions from the game. Maybe tomorrow
> I'll send my long list of questions from the Player's Book.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Jeff