Re: Biggest man in the Tula

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:42:34 -0000

> Well, not only unnecessary long, but also overly specific
deserve it. I
> like the Over the Edge approach, where rather than picking up
Beautiful,
> players are suggested to choose tag such as Natural Beauty, Hot
Babe, Model.

?? This seems redundant - the very fact that it is a multi-word ability in HW (usually) serves the purpose opf specifying which kind of beauty, or whatever.

I have to say that, on the question of multi-word abilities, I could not disagree more with what has been posted. IMO, the text of the ability IS the broadness/narrowness of the ability. You know EXACTLY how broad each ability is by what it itself describes. I don't think the people who took multi-word abilities were suckers at all; not only do I think it's mechanically insignificant, but the very exercise of trying to DESCRIBE instead of CATEGORISE the characters abilities and talents lends, IMO, greater depth to the character definition.

> A Jaded Millionaire's resistance to be seduced will be higher
if the
> ability is Model and lower if it's Natural Beauty, because he may
be fed up
> on stylish Models and welcome the freshness of a Natural Beauty.

Maybe. And maybe he's an old lech who won't touch a woman until they've been equipped with all mod cons, the inflating breasts and collagen-enhanced lips. The point is there is no way to tell this from the ability "Jaded Millionaire"; that descriptor in itself does not give you this information. HW's abilities make much more of the characters intellect and player intent explicit, incorporated in the game world, and thus available for interaction in the ocurse of play.