Re: Moon Magic Modifiers

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:02:59 -0400

"Hibbs, Philip" wrote:

> >I was already planning on applying similar numbers as Edges/Handicaps.
> >What's the general opinion on whether these numbers would be better as
> >Edges/Handicaps or Augmentations?
>
> I wrote that with bonus/penalty to TN in mind, as the numbers stay meaningful
> at all levels of ability. A handicap of even -20 if you have a skill of 10W4 is
> fairly meaningless, but at skill 15 it is pretty much fatal. All edges and
> hanidcaps tend to do is exaggerate the random factor in the contest. If they're
> big in comparison to the skills being used, one or other participant will have
> to bet the farm on a single die roll in order to do anything.

A handicap subtractes from the AP's bid, does it not? A 20 Handicap could be very nasty.

I think you are thinking of a 'negative modifier' rather than a hadicap? Looks like there's some real possiblity of confusion with semantics.... but hey it could be worse -- I remember the word 'Level' with great fondness in D&D.

Edges and Handicaps modify the APs bid/lost. Augments modify both the skill and AP pool. Fetishes and spirits add to the AP pool only.

Jeff Kyer