DOON

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 21:51:23 +1000

Tim:

> (Hmm, - "A History of my Black Ornithopter Troop" - Now there's a
> title for a Grimoire!)

Completely OT (hey, its a holiday), and speaking of ornithopters...

Greg is notorious for not keeping his sources and inspirations pure, but I wonder how many of the rest of us have build on or been inspired by Frank Herbert's Fremen as a template for the Orlanthi.

Having read the first Dune trilogy dozens of times in secondary school, its currents still run deep. I can see lots of parallels. And if 'planetary ecology'='heroquesting knowledge' and Shaihalud=dragons, the fit gets even better.

Of course, the Islamic, Arabian and especially Sufi inspirations of Dune crop up in Glorantha independently as well.

John
(Formerly 'Concerned of Kurri Kurri')

nysalor_at_...                 John Hughes

" Oh, no. Dead broad OFF the table!"
- Shrek.