Re: Edges and Handicaps?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:50:28 -0400

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> According to the previews posted on the Glorantha website, Edges and
> Handicaps are explained in Chapter Four of the rules, which is not reviewed
> on the website. I take it that Edges and handicaps are a modifier to your
> chances of success, but what exactly are they? What do they represent? How
> are they determined? How do they function?
>
> Guy

Edges/Handicaps are things like better frex weapons/armour. Having good cover might be an edge. They modifiy the final cost of AP's in a bid. They function just like Armour and Weapons do except for both sides. If I have a +3 Edge, that means I cause +3 AP extra before multiplying or trandferring. And when they attack me, I loose 3 AP less... Handicaps are bad for you. They help the other guy.

In a simple contest, I'd treat them just like modifiers.

A few off the cuff examples of Handicaps: Being under a curse (could be anything!). Having a club foot (trying to race someone). Having a really disfiguring birthmark (bad for trying to make a good impression).

Blowing a *big* ritual resulted in a -10 handicap to one of our heroes for several seasons. Everyone who helped him in the ritual (extraordinary commitment) was loaded with a -5 penalty till he either made good or worked off his penance. He was not a popular lad for the next long while. I believe his Relationship: Clan suffered some permanent scarring.

Jeff