RE: archery and ammo

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:38:27 +0100

On Thursday, July 05, 2001 8:47 PM, gamartin_at_... [SMTP:gamartin_at_...] wrote:
> I have another thought on the archery problem. In the last round of
> discussions we touched on ammo as a rationale for AP loss by the
> archer, and the more I think about it the more I like it. There are
> quite a few ways that ammo can be exploited to control archery and
> other ranged combat type things.

This is all very well, but one of the reasons why I like Hero Wars is that I don't have to keep track of number of arrows, how many days' worth of food I have, etc.

It may not be "realistic", but I'm happy to say that an archer always has arrows if the player wants his character to use a bow, unless there's a plot reason. Frex, our heroes have been captured by slavers and had all their stuff taken away.

If you want to explain the loss of AP by archers as running out of ammo, that's fine. But this is just a description/rationalisation. You could equally say it is because:

I see no need to start counting the specific number of arrows/specific number of yards to the target/the air speed of a sparrow and adding extra rules constructs.

All IMO of course. Don't let me stop you discussing it. :) Just my 2p worth.

The suggestions you've made seem to make sense on a quick skim through, but adding that sort of detail isn't really my cup of tea.

Regards,

Bruce