RE: Costly victories

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 19:17:06 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Bruce Ferrie wrote:

> Though I would give the PCs big penalties against a bunch of trollkin firing
> slings at them out of the darkness. After all, the trollkin have darksense and
> the PCs probably can't see in the dark.

Yep. That should make them a more tough opponent. It's very hard to defend against opponents that you can't see.

I got some additional ideas. I'll assume a situation with waves of trollkin attacking before the main attack by their masters with the 'kin supporting them.

AP transfers could be rationalized
by telling the player that he figured out their attack plan or whatever, so he's ready for them next time they show up. Maybe this situation could be settled more elegantly. You could treat the trollkin waves as simple contests and then give penalties to the main battle if the PCs overextented themselves. Treat the whole contest as a single contests, simple or extented. The multiple waves could augment the abilities of the main compatants. That way 4 trollkin could be counted as 10 trollkin (two waves, two killed in the first wave, two present in the final combat, but using a different ability). The troll party could also augment their abilities with their hit&run tactics and the difficulty could be determined by the success of the earlier attacks or if you want to abstract the first tentative attacks, then it could just be a troll party augmenting their attacks with tactics and edges or other bonuses.

Olli Kantola