Re: Costly victories

From: stefan.drawert_at_...
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:04:49 -0000

>in HW the purpose
> is more important than the actual facts: facts are trollkin
retreats,
> but they win, maybe, because they reach their purpose of tiring off
> the defenders, so the confrontation should not be between RC and RC
> but between trollkin's "tactics" and human's "endurance" (with
humans
> penalized by lack of sleep, darkness, confusion and the like).
>
> Ciao,
> Gian

that may cause some kind of "spoiler" problem: since the characters are aware of the trollkin's attack purpose, the following attacks won't be any surprise, at least not to the players.
also, I wonder how this kind of contest should be describedŽ:

"trollkin tries to exhaust you"
"I try to hang on!"
?
looks a bit too abstract...

most people on the list seem to favor actual actions, like "charging", "attacking" etc. and therefore the relevant abilities. but this leads back to the problem of "wearing off" your opponents, when they always "win" the contest.
not reseting APs for pcs will work best for me.

so, while I agree with your *purpose-is-more-importent-than-facts*- ruling, I am still curious how this will be handled in actual gaming situations.
examples, anybody?
after all, it would be nice to get some *official* advice from the authors [Robin-still here?], for it seems that opinions differ widely.

cheers,

stefan