Re: Costly victories

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:55:38 EDT

In a message dated 09/07/01 09:15:04, you write:

<< n your example, Trolls are not trying to win but are trying to  exhauste humans. So they are _not defeated_, probably, in their hitand   run tactics. Maybe the humans think to defeat them because they  go, but given their real purpose they should not, frex, be opposed by  ranged-combat but by endurance-though-stamina or similar abilities.

 Of course, if you let humans fight against the trollkin using CC or  RC ability, the trollkin lose (in HW as in RQ), but in HW the purpose  is more important than the actual facts: facts are trollkin retreats,  but they win, maybe, because they reach their purpose of tiring off  the defenders, so the confrontation should not be between RC and RC  but between trollkin's "tactics" and human's "endurance" (with humans  penalized by lack of sleep, darkness, confusion and the like).

 Ciao,
 Gian

I am with Gian on this one, in theory at least. The trollkin objective is to tire out the defenders, to make them use up their magic, their ammunition, to disturb their rest. It is not to kill them . Therefore, the objective should be more difficult to stop by the defenders. (frex, cannot use close combat to avoid getting tired out, cannot use ranged combat to avoid running out of ammunition, cannot use magic to avoid running out of magic (although this is no longer a feature of HW)

I qualify with 'in theory' because I imagine that in the heat of the gaming moment I would run it as a normal combat contest.

Keith N

Keith