Re: Hero Band question

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:02:58 -0000

>I have a question or two.

OK, Here are my interpretations (even if they are wrong they might prompt someone else to offer an opinion...)

> If a guardian is an archetype does it provide it's magic to all
> members or only the person it works through?

An archtype provides magic only to the "Band Leader", although they may be able to cast it on other band members, depending on the nature of the magic

A Manifestation performs all the magic itself. Again, where appropriate it may be cast on members of the hero band

An Emanation provides its magic to all members of the Hero Band (providing they meet the criteria laid down by the band* and the guardian being)

> Do members have to be close to the Guardian Being to gain take
> advantage of it's benefits, i.e are there any range restrictions?

Good question!
In the first two cases, where some one or some thing is casting the magic, then yes, the normal rules for range (and for multiple targets) presumably apply. In the case of an Emanation, I'm less certain, and it might vary from case to case. In some cases, providing one upholds the requirements of the guardian spirit (and providing they don't require it's presence) one will always have the benefits. In others, travelling too far from the object which house the spirit may cause you to forfeit the benefit.

Note that the Guardian Beings write up
(http://www.glorantha.com/hw/guardian_beings.html) says the Hero Band must keep the host object safe. Presumably if they loose it then everyone looses the benefits it was supplying