Re: Games & Game companies

From: Graham Spearing <graham_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 20:49:56 +0100

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Shannon wrote:

> So I ask again. Is RQ salvagable?? Is it worth it?? Is
> there much to convert HW to RQ?? does anyone have an easy
> system tool to do it?? Or am I just too far gone to
> care??

You might well be, but here are a few pointers anyway :-)

RQ may be history, but Steve Perrin's Quest Rules, SPQR, are very much alive. These rules are the descendants of RQ, I suppose RQ5(ish), but have many differences to the RQ stable as we know it. Ultimately it is another, well thought out, BRP implementation. And very nicely conceived too.

Check out the following URL: http://www.perrinworlds.com/ and follow the link to SPQR. I understand the site is quite new and will be developed over time. The character creation rules for SPQR are available as a free download.

You could happily run all the classic RQ2/3 Gloranthan material with Elric/Stormbringer. For that matter the workings of HW could be converted to RQ2/3/4/5 with some effort though I'd question the need to bother. I think Hero Wars is really pushing the power level up a notch and has been designed to enable that quite easily.

I don't forsee conversions from HW to RQ unless through fan based work.

Instructions to join the RQ-RULES list are found here:

http://members.nbci.com/talmeta/runequest/rq.html

Sorry for the off topic post but thought the info might interest others here.

With best wishes,

--
Graham
graham_at_...