Re: A question on enchanting iron...sorry, it's a bit long

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:43:20 -0000

Enchanting Iron (or anything else for that matter) is a Ritual, is it not? I'd sort of expect that (particularly in the case of Dwarven enchantment) that this involves forging/reforging the blade. So as a general rule, I'd expect that it is not easy to add additional enchantments on top of one another. (Maybe the second and subsequent "Enchant Iron" suffer a penalty based on the previous enchantments)

> However a problem might
> be that since the dwarves use Sorcery, the sword once so enchanted
> might not be able to store any Humakti (or other theistic)
> enchantments.

On the other hand, if the "Sorcery" Enchantment does involve something at the Forging/Manufacturing end, and the "Theistic" Enchantment involves some sort of Dedication of the finished item then this may be less of a problem (forthcoming rules changes potentially making "mixing" of magic systems much harder nothwithstanding). In this case however going the other way might be much harder ("This sacred Iron blade has been dedicated to Humakt, I am told you Mostali can make it even sharper" - "Yes, first we'll heat it in our furnace until it turns to liquid..."