Re: A question on enchanting iron...sorry, it's a bit long

From: Mark Galeotti <hia15_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:17:05 -0000

> > However a problem might
> > be that since the dwarves use Sorcery, the sword once so enchanted
> > might not be able to store any Humakti (or other theistic)
> > enchantments.

In many ways I think of this as a cultural/religious issue more than a rules mechanics one. The sword is the very symbol of Humakt - sure, handing it to some soulless mostali to paw over might lead to a sharper tool, but what does that say about your faith? Are you saying that you don't think Humakt's magic is enough? Would you be happy to see the mostali re-engineer your god? Next thing you'll be saying that in some combats you'll use an axe or a mace because they might be more effective in those circumstances! That's apostate talk round these parts...

Cult(ural) constraints are often the most effective controls on wouldbe  minimaxing. Of course, that's one reason why those with belief systems that allow and encourage mixing and matching, like those damn lunars with their talk of inclusiveness, can be so dangerous and unpredictable.

All IMO, of course.

Mark