Re: Using Two Weapons? (again)

From: Briquelet_at_...
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:15:40 -0000

Ok, I can see that everyone seems concerned about complicating the game mechanics and potentially reducing the focus on story and roleplaying. I do agree that the emphasis should be on those aspects of the game, rather than rules wrenching. However, to overly simplify the mechanics makes the whole game "vanilla." Players need little hooks on which to hang the qualities and differences between their characters. So far all I have heard is that this skill idea is just "chrome." By that same argument, so are weapon and armor ranks. I have to disagree completely. I do like the idea of feats to augment such a skill as dual wield, but in the day to day rigors of combat, using two swords should be different from using a sword and shield, just as using a sword and shield is different from using a sword without a shield. I guess what I am saying is that the basic premise of the argument presented by some of you does not follow the logic of the rules. Therefore, lacking further help in this area, I have officially decided to implement the following rule in my game:

  1. A character using a weapon in each hand gains a +1 armor edge (as per a shield) and +1 weapon edge (that second weapon helps to open an opponent's defenses and forces the target to work even harder to see all potential blows coming in).
  2. A character using dual wield will take a -10 to -20 improvisation penalty when using his dual wield skill to defend agains an attacker using a missile weapon (penalty is based upon the size and speed of the missile).

These additions are simple and allow the dual wielding character's player to feel as though there is a difference between his character's style and that of every other swordslinger.

Thanks for all the input and discussion, gang.

John