Re: using two weapons [eventually]

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 17:44:25 +0100 (BST)

John Briquelet:

> Thanks Stefan! I don't think too many additional numbers would arise to
> complicate the game under these circumstances, and this would also
> permit the player to tailor his actions AND attach a bonus or penalty to
> the attempt. At least I am not totally alone in my view that dual
> weapon combat should permit different modifiers. :-)

I don't think anyone is really arguing against that, though; the issue is rather whether one should have "rules" per se for using two weapons, as a special case, as per the weapon and armour ranks rules, or whether they're better treated as "ad hoc" situational modifiers. I think the Top Answer has got to be "whichever floats your boat", but the two aren't really in as stark an opposition as all that, anyway. In either event, it comes down to a bunch of bonuses and penalties, the question is when they should be decided, and/or how variable they should be? In practice I suggest this really does come down to being a matter of degree, and of personal taste; some groups will want a certain amount of "consistency" in awarding of such bonuses, others will want to entirely busk it.

I'd suggest the Middle Way, personally; similar situations ought to give broadly similar bonuses, subject to a bit of dramatic licence, but trying to hand-craft rules that will be applicable in perpetuity is a veil of tears -- for one thing it's a tad dull, and for another, it invites mini-maxing. (At the risk of giving DWRT more flamable fodder to torch me with, I have to admit my first reaction to John's suggestion for handling 2 weapon use was "why doesn't everyone do it, then?", and my first to WQ's was "why would anyone ever do this?")