RE: Enchanting weapons

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:52:55 +0100

John wrote:

> The rules for enchanting weapons are somewhat ambiguous, and I wanted
> to see what others think about this.

I'm scratching my head a bit, because we haven't had to worry about anybody making these in the Greydog Game yet. And as you say, the rules aren't entirely clear.

I *think* the answer may be that you create a "Truesword Stroke 12" sword (HW:RiG p.233, Effects of Enchantment), which works much as a skill spirit would (cf. HW:RiG p.210 and examples on the next page):

A character without the feat can use it at the sword's ability rating.

A character with the feat can augment using the sword's ability rating as a bonus (i.e. the sword gives +12 to Truesword Stroke augmentation attempts).

It *can't* be the case that the sword gives a straight +12 to Close Combat, or that this ability rating of 12 can just be changed into a 24-point offensive edge -- that'd be daftly powerful for the "default" magic item.

My *guess* is that you could work out a fixed bonus using the normal conversion rates (resistance 5 = +1 target number bonus or ^2 offensive or defensive edge), so that for a bog-standard magic sword you'd say 12/5 = +2 to hit, or +5 damage, and take it from there for more powerful items. Which sounds fair to me.

You did notice that you need to achieve a Complete Victory with the ability you're enchanting into the sword *AS WELL AS* the Enchant ability, *and* spend one or more Hero Points, to make it work?

Cheers, Nick