Re: Re: Need a little help with heroquests

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:52:59 +0100

> I tend to think that the difficulty is set by how 'deep' the heroes
> want to go. Do you want to just run it as 'you and the boys in the
> heroplane'? (equivalent enemies from similar questers)
>
> Do you want to run it in the roles of ancient heroes? Opponents are
> 10w3. Are you taking the role of the Thunderbrothers, etc in this?
> 10w4-5 opposition. The roles of the greater deities are very difficult
> and hard to do. This is just something I've toyed with.
>
> The reward, of course, is commeasurately greater. In the first case,
> you might get a magic spear. The second you might get a magical power
> in the 10w2 range (Lighting Spear). I'd hate to think what the higher
> end would get -- an affinity at a high level?

I've tended to work backwards on this. Start by deciding a rating for the benefit they want to get, possibly with input from the players, and possibly involving some creativity. Then, this acts as a cap for the stations of the quest, with easier ones being no more than a mastery or so below this. I find it a useful rule of thumb.

This means that for a minor quest for, say, the ever cold beer mug 10W2, the stations vary from 10W to 10W2 in difficulty, whilst the full LBQ (objective Sheng Seleris W5) would have nothing below W4 level.

I also suspect that the LBQ is so difficult because you have to complete other heroquests first, otherwise you don't have the abilities that are tested at all : "Okay, now roll against your 'have survived baths of Nelat'"...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson